Screen time, such as watching television, using a tablet, or playing video games, can be a convenient and entertaining way to occupy your toddler. However, excessive screen time can have negative effects on your toddler’s development and well-being.
So what can you do with your toddler instead of screen time? Here are five ideas:
- Play together: Play is an essential part of a toddler’s development, and it is also a great way to spend quality time together. Play with your toddler using toys, games, and activities that are appropriate for their age and interests. Often children simply want to copy you, so whenever appropriate give them similar ‘tools’ like a wooden spoon and pot to play with while you are preparing food.
- Go outside: Fresh air and sunlight are good for your toddler’s physical and mental health. Take your toddler outside to explore, play, and learn in nature. Visit a park, go for a walk, or have a picnic in the backyard.
- Get creative: Encourage your toddler’s creativity and imagination by providing them with materials and opportunities to create and express themselves. Use art supplies, such as crayons, paint, and playdough, to make art together.
- Read together: Reading is a fun and educational activity that you can do with your toddler. Choose books that are appropriate for their age and interests, and read to them regularly. Encourage them to look at the pictures, point out words, and ask questions.
- Visit friends and family: Social interaction is important for your toddler’s development. Visit friends and family, and spend time together engaging in activities and conversations. This can help your toddler learn and practise social skills, and provide them with a sense of belonging and connection.
In conclusion, there are many fun and educational activities that you can do with your toddler instead of screen time. Play together, go outside, get creative, read together, and visit friends and family. These activities can help your toddler learn, grow, and thrive, and provide you with quality time together.